The Remarkable Parsons Family of Birr Castle
Inventor of the Steam Turbine
Take a journey with the Parsons family who have achieved global recognition in the fields of astronomy, engineering, photography and horticulture.
- Walk through the science galleries as they document how the world’s largest telescope was designed and built.
- Discover the moment in Birr that suddenly made the universe a much larger place than people realised.
- View the original charcoal drawings of the Whirlpool galaxy as observed by the 3rd Earl of Rosse in the 19th Century.
- What is the Lunar Heat machine and why is there a letter from Neil Armstrong to the Parsons family on display next to it?
- Look into the past as you encounter the oldest complete darkroom in the world as well as some of the world’s oldest photographs.
- Learn about the outstanding and globally significant inventions of Charles Parsons and the impact his engineering had upon the Titanic and HMS Dreadnought.