Discover Primary Science and Maths Tour – A Journey of Pioneering, Adventure & Astronomy
With the significant changes being introduced through the new science curriculum, the emphasis is on taking science out of the textbooks and the classroom and into everyday experiences & practical activities of investigation, experiments and analysis. Ireland’s Historic Science Centre has taken the opportunity to play a role in working with teachers and schools in celebrating our scientific heritage and fostering, inspiring and encouraging young scientists of the future. We aim to achieve this by providing a fun, interactive tour through Ireland’s Historic Science Centre and through the gardens to end at The Great Telescope
The programme consists of:
- A guided tour of the science galleries of Irelands Historic Science Centre.
- A visit to the restored telescope in the gardens.
- An interactive workshop where the children work in groups to build and launch rockets, make observations and record results. Within the workshops children will be get a chance to work with measurements, angles and distance.
- A team game using the rockets to learn about the planets of the solar system.
- Length of tour: 2.5 hours. Admission €10 per student. Suitable for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Class.
- For Bookings & Further details, please contact our reception on 0579120336
Guided Tour with Trail
The tour guide will take the children through the Science Centre, and outside to view the castle, the Great Telescope and also parts of the gardens. This tour can also include a trail for the children, where they follow a map to different locations in the gardens and answer questions related to the stop. This option costs €5.00 per child. The guided tour is €25.00 per guide required (depending on group size). This option is also available without a guided tour, the teachers can take the children around the Science Centre and the gardens with the help of our visitor’s map.
The Treehouse Adventure Area is included in all of our school tours. If your group are using the bouncy pillow in the Treehouse Area we do require a waiver to be signed by the teachers accompanying the children.